Another great Leadership Freak post. Change the words “meetings” to “projects” and “agenda” to “scope” when you read it…
Poorly run meetings are like garbage strewn along the organizational highway. Useful meetings are like the Sumatran Tiger, powerful but nearly extinct.
Great organizations have great meetings.
7 reasons meetings suck:
- They’re too long.
- They lack purpose and outcomes.
- The wrong people are in the room.
- Participants aren’t accountable for results.
- Participants engage in turf wars.
- Few participate; many observe.
- Going along is honored while constructive dissent is stifled.
Bonus: Too many meetings suggest people aren’t aligned or authorized to act on their own.
The main reason meetings suck is the chairperson is inept.
10 Ways to run great meetings:
Chairpersons are responsible for leveraging the talent in the room and using everyone’s time effectively.
- Determine and explain the purpose of the meeting. “We are here to…”
- Prepare the agenda. Short is better. Ask for feedback on the agenda the day before.
- Make agenda items outcomes not
View original post 166 more words